Monday, November 12, 2012

Mainstreamed Culture





Skirt from Anthropologie

Some of you may wonder what ethnicity I am and I am proud to say that I am Hmong. The Hmong originate from China and throughout throughout history they made their way down to Southeast Asia populating Laos, Vietnam, and other countries. Today there are thousands of Hmong living in the U.S. of A. The highest populations are in St.Paul, MN, parts of California, and parts of Wisconsin. There are also handfuls of Hmong living in other states as well. The history of the Hmong generates back so far and if I tell you everything, you will probably end up reading a history book and I will be writing for months. If you are interested in the history I encourage you to research about the Hmong! =]

It amazes me to see our cultural clothing worn in the fashion world. People see these pieces and may wonder  where they originated or where the designer got his or her inspiration from and soon enough they will do research and be immersed with knowledge of the Hmong people. I believe that knowledge of the Hmong needs to spread more around the world and with the voice of fashion and art, it's a perfect way to start.


No comments:

Post a Comment